Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Veteran's Corps of Artillery - State of New York, a little bit of history in the making...

Hi Everyone,
I'm back and wanted to write about a really interesting organization that I met at the Brooklyn's Memorial Day parade. I was already super excited about being a part of this tradition that has taken place every year for the last 144 years but couldn't help but be intrigued by some veterans that were literally dressed up in the fanciest uniforms I had ever seen . It wasn't until I was able to take pictures with them that I was told some history about the uniforms. It turns out that the uniforms that you see in these pictures were actual uniforms of how they actually fought battles waaay back when. The Veteran's Corps of Artillery is 200 year old organization whose mission is to preserve the military history within New York  as well as support events affiliated with the military.
Having been a fashion design major, I can't help but naturally be intrigued with how clothing really does reflect the time period and can say so much about that certain era just by design alone. Every detail from the different medals to the placement of the buttons (gold buttons too!) have depth of the history. The gold eagle and the golden ropes, so much design detail in all these uniforms, I thought it was really interesting to share. Below I added some pics of the uniforms of now and then below... Look how much has changed! 

Uniforms then and now...


No comments:

Post a Comment