Monday, May 30, 2011

Brooklyn's 144th Memorial Day Parade Honoring those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.....






Hello! Happy Memorial Day! I hope you all had a wonderful day and the weather was warm. Today was quite a exciting day as it began at 6am to prepare for Brooklyn's 144th Memorial Day Parade. I have to admit, I was a bit worried at first as early this morning it was pouring! Rain, rain, rain, and then all of the sudden it stopped! I thought for sure the parade was going to be cancelled but luckily it not only stopped raining but we had a burst of summer weather as the sun came out and made its presence known for the rest of the day. I have so much to write about for today so I'll be writing two blogs about the parade because I first wanted to write about the meaning of Memorial Day as I think that's really important. With that mentioned, I'd like to first write about a special segment that was included during the parade festivities. It was arranged by the US Hockey  Team. Basically what they have done is send care packages to the many troops that are serving our country. In this part of the parade, they also set up a small but significant section honoring all the local Brooklyn servicemen and women that have given the ultimate sacrifice- that being their life. I really wanted to pinpoint this out as I thought that this part of the parade was quite humbling. There was a table in front of the memorial set up with about 4 large binders with pictures and a biography of each service man/woman that unfortunately did not come back. As I flipped through one of the binders, I couldn't help but think how there are so many, and I couldn't help but notice how young they were. Even though there were all ages represented, many were as young 

as 19. They had all their life ahead of them. There is an old but precise saying that I think sums things up, which is "Freedom isn't free." Today is a reflection on not only honoring those that have fallen but also about being grateful for the freedom that we have. And in this country I really believe anything is possible. You really can achieve anything you want as there are so many opportunities that allow you to do so. All those opportunities to make all your goals and dreams come true are courtesy of those men/women that are out there every day, 24 hours, seven days a week making sure that the US stays "free." Pretty amazing work :) A big heart felt "thanks" to all those who make it possible for the rest of us to have the option to pursue all our goals and dreams - your courage is greatly appreciated...cheers,nency

No comments:

Post a Comment