Sunday, June 12, 2011

The New Dress and the art of sewing...

 The New Dress  By Arthur John Elsley

And todays theme is sewing and dresses...  Sewing because I finally finished all my alterations for nationals and really excited and relieved that all is good to go. I was inspired to write about sewing because it is a hobbie that has been with me ever since I can remember and has greatly been in the majority if not most of my life. I first learned how to sew by sitting next to my mothers sewing table and watching her create pretty dresses for my two older sisters. For every kind of celebration, my mother always sewed dresses for her 3 daughters. Being that I am the youngest, it took a while for me to get to wear the fancy dresses but I remember watching her sew and thinking it was the most captivating thing to watch. I loved to watch her create what in my mind were the most beautiful dresses I had ever seen. I think it was there that my looove for dresses all began. By watching my mom sew and by also watching one of our favorite spanish shows... the evening gown segment of the Miss. Venezuela Universe Pageant. For those of you that have never seen the Miss. Venezuela evening gown segment, I had to link a video because regardless if you are a fashion person of not, when watching this particular part of the show one has to give kudos to those designing the gowns as one can clearly see the art of sewing that went into creating each individual piece.


Clothing itself is quite interesting as even though many think "it's just clothes", in reality there is a lot more depth to them. Clothing is a reflection of not only the particular time period, but also a creative canvas of what is occurring within that time period. Particularly speaking of the dress though, there is something about a"dress" that really is like no other piece of clothing. In my opinion, I think the reason being is simply because there is a lot of power in a dress. The right dress can really make a woman feel like a priceless Picasso and in doing so can be visually a beautiful piece of art. I find that to be so exciting and pretty neat how clothing can do that. It is no wonder that we continuously see the dress being celebrated in many ways, from childrens' movies where the princess is always wearing a dress to Dancing With The Stars where the dress plays a huge role in creating the mood of the dance itself. In fine art dresses also played a large part in a artists canvas. One of my favorite paintings are of Arthur John Elsley, The New Dress. It is one of my favorite because there is so much tangible things that I can relate to and love the significance of the paintings story as well. One of course is the dress itself and the girl being so excited to "show" her dress to her friends which happen to be dogs. I find the painting endearing and genuine as she and the dogs share the moment of "the new dress." And it is with that thought that I leave you to think about all the life celebrations in which "the dress" played a large part in creating that specific special moment. Hmmm...
xoxo,nency



No comments:

Post a Comment